Prof Timothy Bates
+44.131 651 1945
Genetics, Cognitive epidemiology, Cognitive potential, Personality, Group behavior, Dyslexia, Language impairment
My work addresses cognitive and non-cognitive individual differences using behavior and molecular genetic approaches.
Recent research includes
- Genes interact with parental social status to generate attained IQ in adults (WSJ article).
- Positive psychology: Eudaimonic wellbeing is strongly genetic, and has 5 distinct facets;
- Language and reasoning: The first Genome-wide Association Study for dyslexia & the phonological loop
- Education raises scores, independent of general ability
- Religiosity and group favoritism share genetic links