Prof Timothy Bates
I am looking to accept a graduate student this year.
Enjoy quantitative analysis.
Able to consider both family and genetic causes.
Ideally: Feels like a Biologist, a Psychologist, Sociologist, an Anthropologist, and a Philosopher.
Need for Cognition goes a long way
My work is on human ability and personality. As such it spans positive psychology, as well as IQ and traits like optimism. I often use behavior and molecular genetic approaches to get at causality. Recent research includes.
- How social status amplifies IQ (WSJ article).
- The structure of Optimism; and of Eudaimonic well-being
- A GWAS for dyslexia & the phonological loop
- How education and learning to read (but not reading) raise IQ.
- Genetic links of religion and group favoritism.
My office hour is 10-11 on Mondays.
I teach Year 2 Core overview and methods, Year 3 Methodology, Year 4 personality, MSc Personality, and MSc Intelligence.